Author Topic: Mini desktops  (Read 1521 times)

roger.

• SotW Member
  • Level 17
    • View Profile
Mini desktops
« on: August 14, 2013, 03:52:25 AM »
I'm thinking of building a mini cpu ever since nvidia sent me an email about the computers (for reference: http://www.ibuypower.com/Info/revolt.aspx). Does anyone have any experience these types of computers? I can supposedly build one, with water cooling, that is better than my current desktop for a lot less. The only problem is that I have no idea if any of this stuff would fit. I was using the revolt customization page as a reference and chose similar items.

I should also add that I am interested in water cooling because I have a cat, dog (lot of hair in the fans), live in FL, and the ambient temp is normally around 75-80F.

Anyway I was looking at a build like this:
IN WIN BP655.200BL Black Steel Mini-ITX Desktop Computer Case 200W Power Supply

EVGA SuperClocked 02G-P4-2765-KR GeForce GTX 760 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support w/ EVGA ACX Cooler Video Card

CORSAIR Builder Series CX500 500W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 Desktop Memory Model CMY16GX3M2A1866C9B

ASRock Z87E-ITX LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i5-4670K Haswell 3.4GHz LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646I54670K

Thermaltake WATER2.0 Pro Closed-Loop All In One Liquid CPU Cooler Dual 120mm PWM Fans 120x49mm Radiator CLW0216
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 04:14:04 AM by roger. »

scorpitron killa

• SotW Member
  • Level 17
    • View Profile
Re: Mini desktops
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 09:57:24 AM »
ive never used one to game on, but i have quite a few clients where we are moving them to these mini desktops and they seem to work great.  cooling does seems like it would be the major issue when talking about gaming hardware in one, that and finding the hardware to fit it.
i am a soldier of the wasteland

Tradgedy12

• SotW Member
  • Level 17
  • Remember the dead - but fight for the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 10:56:35 AM »
I feel like water cooling would be the best way to deal with the reduced airflow that's going to come with the smaller case, but I also feel like the best way to get around that issue would be to water cool your graphics card(s), because they get really hot already (in my experience, much warmer than the CPU while gaming).
I'd say that the way to go for cooling a build like that would be to get a whole water cooling system to cover your CPU and GPU(s), but then custom systems usually take up quite a bit of space themselves, so I'm not sure what to say. Maybe you could find a miniaturized water cooling system, or get an external reservoir/radiator system?
/* Do... or do not. There is no try-catch. */

roger.

• SotW Member
  • Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 09:29:26 AM »
I found out that if I choose a different case, especially one from silverstone, I could put in a full sized water cooling system depending on the size of the radiator and fans, of course. It also appears that from several user reviews silverstone cases have great air cooling for their mini cases. I don't doubt that they do as the cases look roomy, it's just that I don't air cooling. It doesn't work well when the air temp is constantly near 80 F.

Once I get some loans and bills under control I'll probably work on this as a project. The only thing I'm worried about is the water cooling. With my luck I'll fry my system. Thanks for the responses.

Tradgedy12

• SotW Member
  • Level 17
  • Remember the dead - but fight for the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 10:06:54 AM »
Are you thinking about putting together a custom water cooling system, then? Because if you are, and you want some advice, I have a friend who's been doing custom water cooling setups for years, and he was trying to convince me of how easy and effective it could be, if you get the right stuff. I never ended up having that conversation with him to find out what stuff was "the right stuff," but if you're interested I could relay that info.
/* Do... or do not. There is no try-catch. */

roger.

• SotW Member
  • Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 11:58:12 AM »
I would assume so. I was looking at what the author of this article did. This case is bigger than one from silverstone, so it's probably a much better starting point in case I run into problems I'll have more room to work in.

I do not really know anything about water cooling besides the fact that it works in a similar fashion to a car radiator. I do not really know what is required besides what is listed on that website. He also does not give a great explanation on how he hooked everything up.

Shout box

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!