Author Topic: New desktop build  (Read 5349 times)

Mcrat

• Administrator
  • Level 18
    • View Profile
Re: New desktop build
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2013, 11:39:50 PM »
CPU idles between 20-26 and I decided to grab an extra cooler for it - I got a Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO. Don't really know much about it, I added it to the list as it wasn't too pricey.

And I just had another session on Bioshock and max range the CPU reached then was 45-49C.

Tradgedy12

• SotW Member
  • Level 17
  • Remember the dead - but fight for the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2013, 12:12:53 AM »
UPDATE Final build:

(unchanged from original) (changed from original)
CPU: Core i7-4470K
GPU: EVGA GTX 770
Mobo: ASUS Sabertooth Z87
RAM: G. Skill 16GB (4x4GB)
SSD: ADATA 256GB

HDD: I discovered that I still have my old 50GB + 750GB HDDs from my previous build, and they both still work fine @ 720RPM, so I'll just use them for media storage.
PSU: SeaSonic 750W modular
Case: Corsair 800D

CPU cooler: Corsair H100i water cooler

I was really close to getting that cooler that scorp suggested, but then I realized that it's not that much cheaper than water cooling, and I'd like to give water cooling a shot just to see if it's something I'm interested in exploring further. I think it would be really nice to get a full custom water cooling system running, cooling all my components, to minimize the wear+tear on GPUs during gaming while still not having too many fans (both in terms of noise reduction and dust).

The stuff should start arriving today... I'm excited :D
/* Do... or do not. There is no try-catch. */

AgentSmith5150

• SotW Member
  • Level 17
  • Drugs r bad, mmkayy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2013, 07:58:29 AM »
Awesome gear man, me jelly!

(Y)

Mcrat

• Administrator
  • Level 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2013, 03:53:31 PM »
Awesome! Have fun putting it all together, and then more importantly, installing games and sliding all the things to the right.

Tradgedy12

• SotW Member
  • Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2013, 05:09:33 PM »
sliding all the things to the right.
That's really the goal of every new gaming build, isn't it? :D

I just finished putting all the hardware together, now it's just a matter of getting it all set up the way I want - probbaly going to take a while because I need to OC the RAM and I have no f*cking idea how to do that, but hey - I'm just glad I was able to get video out today XD

Protip: turns out the Z87 has a sped up boot thing that prevents it from booting to BIOS unless you have a bootable drive or press a hardware button on the mobo itself ;)

Zoogy

• SotW Member
  • Level 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2013, 06:26:27 PM »
GO AWAY THREAD!!!!111!

I was leaving this thread alone hoping it would die fast but no you guys just keep on reminding me about how I need a new computer really bad. Sorry I just felt the need to say something. Yeah I know I point out how I need a new computer all the time so just ignore me.
Can we get this guy a "thread necromancer" member status or something?

AgentSmith5150

• SotW Member
  • Level 17
  • Drugs r bad, mmkayy
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2013, 02:01:56 AM »
GO AWAY THREAD!!!!111!

I was leaving this thread alone hoping it would die fast but no you guys just keep on reminding me about how I need a new computer really bad. Sorry I just felt the need to say something. Yeah I know I point out how I need a new computer all the time so just ignore me.

No problem!

/ignore

Tradgedy12

• SotW Member
  • Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2013, 03:24:11 AM »
Wouldn't it be ironic if we started posting in this thread more than we otherwise would have because of his post?

MerchantKill

• SotW Member
  • Level 18
  • Stayin too poor to afford gym membership.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2013, 03:50:04 AM »
GO AWAY THREAD!!!!111!

QFT, me too  :=(

Also, grats! #jelly

Cant win. Dont even bother playing. - indczn

Tradgedy12

• SotW Member
  • Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2013, 06:35:26 AM »
Thanks - it came together really well :)

Couple of notes - I can't recommend strongly enough the case that I got. It's pretty spendy obviously, but it's beautiful in every way... the case fans aren't really enough if you want to air cool your CPU + GPU, but if you water cool the CPU they're plenty, and they are SILENT. Even with the 240mm radiator (2x 120mm fans pushing air through) my build is quieter than my LAPTOP unless I'm running benchmarking software or stress testing.
On that note, Corsair Link is also pretty fantastic. Gives me a really nice UI with lots of useful controls to dictate what should happen when temperature thresholds are reached, as well as a couple very pretty graphs showing temperatures and fan speeds for the last 30 seconds or so.

Good stuff (Y) :D

Shout box

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!