Author Topic: New desktop build  (Read 5348 times)

Tradgedy12

• SotW Member
  • Level 17
  • Remember the dead - but fight for the living.
    • View Profile
New desktop build
« on: July 28, 2013, 05:29:25 AM »
Finally out of school and making money, finally time to be profoundly irresponsible with my money :D

Here's what I'm looking at:

CPU: Core i7-4470K
GPU: EVGA GTX 760
Mobo: ASUS Sabertooth Z87
RAM: G. Skill 16GB (4x4GB)
SSD: ADATA 256GB
HDD: Seagate 1TB
PSU: Cooler Master 1000W modular
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932

I'm also thinking about getting water cooling to cut down on noise, although I've never done it before and I understand it's kind of a headache to get it figured out.
Anyone have any thoughts? I haven't been keeping up with hardware at all, so I could use all the help I can get :)
/* Do... or do not. There is no try-catch. */

Miszou

• SotW Member
  • Level 16
  • Eccentric English Gentleman
    • View Profile
Re: New desktop build
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 05:56:35 AM »
Rather than get a full SSD and a mechanical drive, you might want to consider getting the Sandisk ReadyCache instead.

It basically adds a 32GB cache to your drive(s) and the speed boost is incredible.

It learns what programs you frequently use and keeps them in cache, so most of the time you get comparable performance to a full SSD, but at a fraction of the cost. I have one in my desktop and it boots (after BIOS) in about 10 seconds, and the system is useable immediately after logging in - just like an SSD.

And I know this won't be a popular viewpoint, but imho, an i7 is overkill for most games. The only difference between an i5 and an i7 is that the i7 has hyperthreading, which is only beneficial in very specific (and rare) circumstances. In fact, you may find that certain games run better if you disable hyperthreading in the BIOS - and if that's the case, you might as well have saved some cash, bought an i5 and overclocked it.

My system has 8GB RAM, i5 3470 3.2ghz (not-overclockable) and a Radeon 7870 w/ 2GB DDR5. I haven't found a game yet that won't play on it at full settings. But... maybe I'm just not that into counting frame rates while my wife is busy counting our finances... ;)

If you can afford all those toys you mentioned, then by all means do it - just be aware that the law of diminishing returns will be nipping at your heels.... :)

Tradgedy12

• SotW Member
  • Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 06:17:27 AM »
Rather than get a full SSD and a mechanical drive, you might want to consider getting the Sandisk ReadyCache instead.

Huh, that's a definite thought. Really the only reason to get a large SSD is to be able to install things to it rather than having to install everything on another physical device, so that solution would work too. Thanks for the idea, I never would have thought of that!

If you can afford all those toys you mentioned, then by all means do it - just be aware that the law of diminishing returns will be nipping at your heels.... :)

Oh, I know - I just got my first pay day yesterday (paid once a month) and this one had my signing bonus rolled into it, so I'm excited to spend some serious money, after having to be so careful for the last 4 years  ;)

scorpitron killa

• SotW Member
  • Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 08:15:58 AM »
on my laptop i have the same HDD setup as you do and definitely love it.  i have many games and apps installed on my 256GB ssd and still have 60GB free.  my 1 TB is for other media/movies/music/vm's ect.

i do not keep up to date on all the hardware changes until its time to build a rig, so this is the time when i like to see where the technology is at and learn where its going.  Tradg sounds like he is in a spot where you want to splurge a bit, you want to know when you are done building you, for the first time in a long time, just built a kick-ass rig with some extras you may not even have needed.  i was like this last year when i built my laptop and still love this thing.

i am also somewhat of a minimalist, so have never gotten into watercooling.  pretty sure smitty is your guy for that info.
i am a soldier of the wasteland

Mcrat

• Administrator
  • Level 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 12:39:28 AM »
And I know this won't be a popular viewpoint, but imho, an i7 is overkill for most games. The only difference between an i5 and an i7 is that the i7 has hyperthreading, which is only beneficial in very specific (and rare) circumstances. In fact, you may find that certain games run better if you disable hyperthreading in the BIOS - and if that's the case, you might as well have saved some cash, bought an i5 and overclocked it.

This is basically what I was reading as well.

I'm picking up my new rig tomorrow Tradg and am going to be (attempting) to put it together myself. So I'm fully with you on the exciting upgrade aspect of it all :D

I went for the i5 for the reasons Misz mentioned above. Also because I didn't just get my first paycheck in forever and so don't have cash coming out of all the places (although I did order this thing while interstate on holiday, so I must have found some spare lying around :P).

I don't know too much about hardware though, but 1000w psu seems reallly beefy to me. I'm getting an Antec HCG 620w and my video card is a Gigabyte GTX 770 OC.

That's the only thing that made me go 'huh' but take it with a grain of salt as I don't really know much about it all. I'm also going the SSD + HDD route like you - pretty keen to see the speed difference it makes.

Question for you as well, as I'm pondering this myself. What the hell are you doing with your current PC that assumably runs things fine enough, just not at high settings? Spare pc that will never be used and just gather dust in the corner?

AgentSmith5150

• SotW Member
  • Level 17
  • Drugs r bad, mmkayy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 10:49:18 AM »
Great parts!

I'm running an i5 2500k and it's bulletproof. Don't even have it OC'd.

Tradgedy12

• SotW Member
  • Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 12:16:24 AM »
Question for you as well, as I'm pondering this myself. What the hell are you doing with your current PC that assumably runs things fine enough, just not at high settings? Spare pc that will never be used and just gather dust in the corner?

Media center :D

Don't have any fancy consoles to watch movies and browse netflix on my TV with, but my old laptop does these things well (and plays older games with a controller, as well ;))

scorpitron killa

• SotW Member
  • Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 01:54:47 AM »
related to i7 opinions...

i have some architect clients where i7 is a must specifically due to the hyperthreading feature.  autocad only wants to use 1 core so unless you are on at least a 3rd gen i7 no matter how many processor cores you have autocad will only use one and it is a definite bottleneck.  i7 allows the processor to distribute the load regardless of what the software is trying to use.

i point this out because i could swear i read that PoE for example, is the same it will use 1 core unless you have a i7 that will spread it out for you.  ofc a good i5 should be more than enough for PoE but as you begin to heavily multi-task i could see it becoming a luxury to have an i7.

what is the price difference?  between i5 and i7?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 01:58:46 AM by scorpitron killa »
i am a soldier of the wasteland

Mcrat

• Administrator
  • Level 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 01:30:22 PM »
I got the mid-range i5-4570 ($225) which is $120 cheaper than the base i7-4770 on the 1150 pin.

Media center :D

Don't have any fancy consoles to watch movies and browse netflix on my TV with, but my old laptop does these things well (and plays older games with a controller, as well ;))

Yeah I have a PS3 and Plex media center on my PC which my TV talks directly to. It's also in a huge freakin' case so might look odd sitting in the living room taking up a heap of room if I made it the dedicated media box. Plus doesn't have quite fans or anything like that so think it would be more annoying than beneficial.

I have a spare tv to set up in a spare room so this will probably get hooked up to that to maybe play controller games on. Maybe old roms? I have no idea :/

Raiderfan001

• SotW Member
  • Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 02:02:11 PM »
Water cooling isn't really quieter than air.  Either way you still have fans blowing and for WC it's a lot of times running more fans.  Typical air cooler will have 1 or 2 fans.  WCing will depend on your radiator.  I've always used a triple rad so that's 3 fans.  And then you have the pump humming too (some are louder than others).  For a quiet system just buy some good fans and/or a fan controller.  In my experience WCing is for lower temps and better overclocking.  If all you want is quiet than you don't have to spend the money on WCing.

AgentSmith5150

• SotW Member
  • Level 17
  • Drugs r bad, mmkayy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2013, 03:05:25 PM »
My current air setup beats my previous WC setup

Tradgedy12

• SotW Member
  • Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2013, 11:18:51 AM »
Hmm, interesting points, I'm not sure where I got the idea that watercooling was quieter, but I thought that I had seen a watercooled build that was a lot quieter than I expected a powerhouse of that size to be.

Well, I could always start out with an air cooled system and see how that goes, then upgrade to water cooling after a couple weeks if I'm not happy...
I'm thinking I'm going to get the Corsair 800D just because I like the more professional look and I think it's a little higher quality overall.
So space shouldn't be an issue. But I might end up with more fans/noise than anticipated... still trying to decide how much premium I want to place on a quiet build. It's nice when it's not too loud, but I definitely don't want to get an underpowered or undercooled system for it.

Mcrat

• Administrator
  • Level 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2013, 12:01:38 PM »
Nice case, I got the Corsair 400D - so a couple models below that one, but it runs nice and quiet using the standard three fans that come with the case.

My GPU idles at 27c with that setup and highest I've seen it is between 50-60 in game.

The cord management system in those cases is handy too.

Tradgedy12

• SotW Member
  • Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2013, 12:25:40 PM »
Oh, nice! Pretty awesome temps for a mid tower. Does the CPU do ok? And do you have the stock cooler on it?

AgentSmith5150

• SotW Member
  • Level 17
  • Drugs r bad, mmkayy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2013, 03:31:30 PM »
I've been using the Noctua NH-D14 through 2 CPUs now and it's cooling power beats my previous custom watercooling setup hands down. The fucker is massive though, I have to use low profile RAM otherwise the cooler fins would hit it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608018

And I only use the center fan in the cooler. the other fan from the cooler I mounted on the bottom of my case to pull air in.

Shout box

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!