Author Topic: Age of Wushu is crazy cool  (Read 3291 times)

jzn

• SotW Member
  • Level 11
    • View Profile
Age of Wushu is crazy cool
« on: January 07, 2013, 08:11:35 PM »
So, this just came out in a western version (with its grand opening in feburary), and Age of Wushu is crazy innovative and fun.

It's free to play for short periods of time.  You are limited to an hour a day if you dont pay, or something like that.  It will be a good hour!

As an MMO, its essentially Eve Online, but in Ming Dynasty China.  There are a few storyline quest arcs thrown in sort of haphazardly, but the game is mainly about pursuing the universal dream of  becoming the worlds greatest kung fu master.  You can be any kind of kung fu master that you want to.  I mean it.   If you want to be a Shaolin Monk who protects carriages from bandit gangs, thats fine.  If you want to foement your own bandit gang thats also supported.  Do you want to be a reclusive farmer who grows wheat and practices kung fu on the sacred hill?   What if you want to be the kind of kung fu master who kidnaps offline players to sell them into prostitution:

Your character is persistent while you are offline.  While you aren't controlling him, he's an automoton who wanders the area, or works as a tea waiter, or whatever your preferred downtime duty.  He is there to be messed with by bad PCs.  This gives the good guys some evil to prevent, although it is rarely so cut and dry:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XwAllsm9N8

The biggest complaint about the game is that, while combat is simple yet complex, it is a challenge to understand many of the game mechanics.  I am not sure if the problem is more the badly translated tutorials or if it is just an overwhelming amount of new lingo and concepts to grasp at once.  Your attributes are like 'breath, posture, etc'

But this game is sick, please come play it with me!  i'm Jayzn on the only server- Blue Dragon

« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 08:17:32 PM by jzn »

Shayagor

• Level 18
  • I'm sexy and I know it!
    • View Profile
Re: Age of Wushu is crazy cool
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 01:58:09 PM »
I'll keep it in my to do list. Purging games atm :P

Kill a man, you're a murderer; Kill many, you're a conqueror; Kill 'em all, you're a God.

Life is not what you perceive, you perceive what life is. -Tim

jzn

• SotW Member
  • Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 09:31:59 PM »
heres some of the wackier things going on in age of wushu-

There are random mobs everywhere, but you get no xp for fighting them, unless you're on a quest for it.  no xp for monsters!   You get all your xp by doing quests, pvp, life skills, and just by having a character.

The money system confused the heck out of me for a while, but I get it now.   There are 2 kinds of money in the game.  They have confusing names which can be translated as "Fake money" and "real money".  

In game quests only give fake money, which can be used to buy anything from NPC vendors.  But NPC vendors don't sell anything directly useful.   To get practically ANYTHING resembling a normal RPG item (i.e. weapons, armor, food, potions, etc.), you have to get it from player vendor stalls.  Which means basically all items in the game are paid for with real money.  The game economy is one big RMAH that you cant cash out.  

This freaked me out at first, the game's economy is powered by actual cash flooding in from the real world .  But then I realized that I don't have to spend any real money to participate in the economy.  I can collect some wheat in the game fields, bake some buns, and sell them for "Real Money".  And they get bought!  You dont have to spend a dime on the game to get rich off of people's injected gold.  Its wild.

There's a friendly duel mechanic, where you can request a friendly martial arts battle from passerby.  If they agree, there will be a dramatic countdown, and then you will fight till one person is near death, then it stops automatically and the winner gets a bunch of XP (a bunch).  

If the other person is a PK, after the battle they can then kill you easily.  But if they do, you can put a price on their head (from the real money economy) and they will be advertised as outlaws and hunted by other players.   If the PK kills more people in the meantime, they can increase the bounty.   When the guy finally is taken down, he gets put in Jail for hours, and everyone that donated money to bring him in is given a free teleport to the jail to taunt him.

the game is nuts!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 09:33:58 PM by jzn »

scorpitron killa

• SotW Member
  • Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 03:16:45 AM »
ok now this is sounding quite crazy i may need to try it  (Y)

keep the stories coming jzn
i am a soldier of the wasteland

MerchantKill

• SotW Member
  • Level 18
  • Stayin too poor to afford gym membership.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 05:52:42 AM »
that was a fun read. ty.

(Y) 8)

Cant win. Dont even bother playing. - indczn

TheGreatCthulhu

• SotW Member
  • Level 17
  • Lord of R'lyeh, Great Priest of the Deep Ones
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 09:23:50 AM »
I wonder... do they have a fighting style that's in any way similar to Hokuto Shinken*?

* A fictional fighting style that consists of hitting acupuncture pressure points to induce various effects, namely causing one's head to explode. Also, see "Fist of the North Star".

Edit: Or the condensed version -

« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 09:55:56 AM by TheGreatCthulhu »

jzn

• SotW Member
  • Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 03:58:46 PM »
I'm not sure if there is a pressure point skill set, but there might be.  I need to learn more about the fighting styles, as they are at the crux of the game.  I would need to know a whole lot more about wushu literature to understand their crazy names alone.  But here's what I know.

Each kung fu move is a separate combat skill.  Each skill has a variety of effects and modifiers that incorporate into a rock-paper scissors combat system.  The system's crux is block>strike>feint>block, and each move comes under one of these headings.   Each move is one of seven or so in a move set.  The sets have names like Eagle Claw Fist or Tai Chi Sword, and each has at least one defensive skill and one big whammy charge up skill.  You can mix up any skills you have acquired from multiple sets for your personal configuration, like your deck in trading-card-game style mechanics.

Your choice of 1 of 7 schools is where you get your main 3 move sets.  The Wanderers school is focused on poison and dart throwing.  The Shaolin Monks use fist, feet and staff.   You only have easy access to the skills from your school, but you can learn any skill in the game by finding the proper skill scrolls.  You can steal skill scrolls from rival schools in some pvp missions which i haven't tried.  In the higher levels, there are also secret epic skill sets that give you more superheroic kung fu.

Scholars skill set: Leisure Kick -

Also throughout the game are various flying skills to find, each one of which modifies your wire-fu capabilities.  One intermediate one lets you run across water, for instance.  These flying skills blend seamlessly with the regular moves.  In fact many of the regular moves give specific bonuses when you execute them while flying through the air!  

Low level wushu duels are cool looking with colorful chops and spins, but high level duels are two gods fighting in the sky with lighting bolts and stuff.  More info as i get it.   But, here's how it works in practice:

« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 04:43:07 PM by jzn »

Shout box

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!