Author Topic: Disney bought Lucasfilm and plans to make Star Wars movies Also owns game rights  (Read 6423 times)

Zoogy

• SotW Member
  • Level 14
    • View Profile
Nevermind the above... apparently these new additions will be "completely new" material that hasn't been already written about in an EU book.

Eww that isn't looking good. It sounds like they might end up ignoring the EU and doing whatever the fuck they want. I knew they weren't going to do stuff based off of books if the books took place in the time frame of Thrawn or other early EU books for the reason your friend pointed out. They would have to recast everyone so only robots would look the same as they did then. I was thinking they might do a movie around legacy era (40+ years after Episode IV). That would make it so they could use the actors from the original movies and also have the daughter of Han+Leia and the Son of Luke+Mara Jade (Luke's wife) to use as "new" characters (they would be new to people that only watched the movies and never read any of the books). Anyways I am trying not to think about it much for now and just waiting until we have info directly from LucasFilm, Disney, or someone that knows what is going on.
Can we get this guy a "thread necromancer" member status or something?

Tradgedy12

• SotW Member
  • Level 17
  • Remember the dead - but fight for the living.
    • View Profile
Anyways I am trying not to think about it much for now and just waiting until we have info directly from LucasFilm, Disney, or someone that knows what is going on.
That's probably a good policy - pure speculation at this point, so there's no real reason to get too worked up over it.

...on the other hand, what if they fuck it up?!?
/* Do... or do not. There is no try-catch. */

Zoogy

• SotW Member
  • Level 14
    • View Profile

Yeah this is why it is really bothering me. I mean they could end up doing something really great. But its just as easy if not easier for them to really fuck up both the movies and the EU (EU includes games so if they fuck up the EU we may not have a chance of getting another KotOR).

TheGreatCthulhu

• SotW Member
  • Level 17
  • Lord of R'lyeh, Great Priest of the Deep Ones
    • View Profile
With the way Bioware has seemingly begun to drill holes in the ocean floor, I'm pretty pessimistic about KOTOR 3 happening. SWTOR kind of fills in the void with the campaigns for the Jedi Knight and Sith Warrior, but I'm afraid others would think I am being overly generous.

Who knows, maybe Disney will let someone else produce KOTOR 3. I certainly don't see Bioware doing it though, with the way they're insistent on SWTOR offering the stories of "KOTORS 3, 4, 5, 6 and beyond!" Maybe someone else can answer this question: Does Bioware have the exclusive rights to make KOTOR games or does LA/Disney have the power to pick who can make them?

As for other games, yeah that could be a mess as well. We might end up seeing oddities like Star Wars characters showing up in Square's "Kingdom Hearts" series.

Yeah, I'm gonna hold my breath as well. But I wouldn't be surprised if they start doing weird stuff like having "Vader Come Back From The Dead" or Bobba Fett becoming a force user.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 10:20:45 AM by TheGreatCthulhu »

roger.

• SotW Member
  • Level 17
    • View Profile

And I always thought episodes 1-3 were fuck ups.

TheGreatCthulhu

• SotW Member
  • Level 17
    • View Profile

Edit: I'm surprised MK hasn't said peep in this topic.   :o

Jetcutter

• SotW Member
  • Level 13
    • View Profile
AgentSmith5150:" They can take my freedom, but they'll never take my BACON!!!!"

Miszou

• SotW Member
  • Level 16
  • Eccentric English Gentleman
    • View Profile

Zoogy

• SotW Member
  • Level 14
    • View Profile

Old news to me. I saw that less than a day after the press release.

McAlison

• SotW Member
  • Level 13
  • I ain't yo bitch nigga, get your own damn fries!
    • View Profile
It was bound to happen. Star Wars is a much, much larger universe than we have seen. How many hundreds of books have been made, and we've seen only 6 movies?

Disney is a company that has the resources and the abilities to continue developing Star Wars, while Lucas was quickly becoming tired, and that Kathy chick seemed incompetent.

There's plenty of other companies I would have rather seen purchase Star Wars, and hey, most likely a gaming company will step up and make some new games. I definitely won't mind the next two trilogies they have planned, or even a television series if that's where they want to go with it.

47:13 [All] FrostForged: OH SHIT HES PRO

At the corner of "get a map" and "fuck off"

Zoogy

• SotW Member
  • Level 14
    • View Profile
or even a television series if that's where they want to go with it.

I don't know about that. Disney can make some great movies but they have a rather bad record with TV shows.

TheGreatCthulhu

• SotW Member
  • Level 17
    • View Profile
I don't know about that. Disney can make some great movies but they have a rather bad record with TV shows.

They've had a few (albeit IMO, nauseating) series that could be considered "hits". However, it seems that the majority of them are shows geared towards kids in their early years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Walt_Disney_TV_series

But* I suppose there are older people who might have the guilty pleasure of watching Hannah Montana...

*This but was a buy. What the heck? Is Firefox now auto-correcting me like I'm using some kind of mobile contraption?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 12:51:36 PM by TheGreatCthulhu »

Zoogy

• SotW Member
  • Level 14
    • View Profile
They've had a few (albeit IMO, nauseating) series that could be considered "hits". However, it seems that the majority of them are shows geared towards kids in their early years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Walt_Disney_TV_series

Yep. Thats what I was talking about. Most of their "good" or "hits" shows are shows made for kids that are no where near what we would want for a Star Wars show. I am not even asking for a really mature show with really mature themes, sex, violence, a deep plot, and that type of stuff. I would just like a show that adults can watch without thinking "what the fuck is this show and what is the point of watching it?". They could just make a family type show like they do with some of their movies and I would be fine with that. The thing is looking back at most of their shows in general you will see most of them are kids shows and if you look at their "best" shows they are almost all kid shows.

McAlison

• SotW Member
  • Level 13
  • I ain't yo bitch nigga, get your own damn fries!
    • View Profile
Yeah, they've done kids movies and tv shows and excelled. That's because that was their only audience. Now they have control and rights to an already established and extremely famous franchise, which they have not had before. This is uncharted waters for them, but they're a pretty huge ass company as well, they'll do fine.

Now, we just need another company to pick up with Disney and get the rights to the video games, so we can enjoy some new games (and a new Force Unleashed!)

47:13 [All] FrostForged: OH SHIT HES PRO

At the corner of "get a map" and "fuck off"

roger.

• SotW Member
  • Level 17
    • View Profile
I wouldn't be surprised if Disney also gets the rights to create games down the road. They've pretty successful with a lot of their games. They've been making them for a long time as well.

I don't know if they'd make good SW games, but I liked their games as a kid.

Shout box

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!