Author Topic: Jay Wilson tells David Brevik to go F*** off, later apologizes...  (Read 1777 times)

TheGreatCthulhu

• SotW Member
  • Level 17
  • Lord of R'lyeh, Great Priest of the Deep Ones
    • View Profile
I'm sure you some of you guys have probably heard about this, but for those who haven't...

David Brevik was the "chief visionary" behind both Diablo 1 & 2 and Hellgate: London.

Jay Wilson, the lead designer behind Diablo 3, didn't take too kindly to Brevik's honesty. He promptly said on Facebook... "F*** that loser":

You might notice some others joined in and jumped on Brevik over Hellgate. :-/

Of course, Wilson later apologized about his profanity.

Sigh...

« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 04:32:42 PM by TheGreatCthulhu »

roger.

• SotW Member
  • Level 17
    • View Profile
Re: Jay Wilson tells David Brevik to go F*** off, later apologizes...
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 12:59:59 PM »
lol the drama. I am not surprised that the creators of D3 can't handle someone saying the game isn't as good as its predecessors. Unfortunately, it never will be either simply because (iirc) the makers of D3 made WoW and only WoW while working with Blizzard.

jzn

• SotW Member
  • Level 11
    • View Profile
Re: Jay Wilson tells David Brevik to go F*** off, later apologizes...
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 08:49:53 PM »
this was craziness!  While D3 will probably get better over time, IMO the core total-respec design choice is going to be a really difficult thing to figure out how to make work in the long run.  I still think it was a good choice purely as a fuck you to respec whining, but it doesnt feel much like you are building a unique character anymore.   But about this kerfuffle, some thoughts-

- Brevik created Hellgate London.  I mean, he thought of it!  Bill Roper got the lions share of infamy over the debacle, but Brevik was the programming lead, and it was his Brevik's original idea.  I feel like the flagship forums practically invented the art of fans violently backlashing against games they like, and the blizzard forums are on fire with that hateful legacy.  Wilson's nerves are as raw as the flagship producers back in the day.  There is some kind of irony there.  Maybe a curse. Also, D3 is quite an impressive game, and hellgate london was fantastic.

- Marvel F'ing Heroes is the new diablo?  Has someone been wiretapping my wet dreams?  Gazillion also made the kid's free to play MMO Marvel Super Hero Squad, which is fantastic.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 08:53:20 PM by jzn »

Shout box

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!