Author Topic: Thoughts on Loot DS3 vs D3  (Read 1738 times)

Cym

Thoughts on Loot DS3 vs D3
« on: August 04, 2012, 03:52:17 AM »
After nearly reaching the end of the vanilla campaign in Dungeon Siege 3, I am convinced even though the loot is weaker than it was in DS2, it is still more satisfying and meaningful than the loot in Diablo 3.

I am not trying to troll, but I have enjoyed the heck out of DS3, much more so than my playthrough of Diablo 3, believe it or not.

I plan on reinstalling D3 after the loot patch hits and seeing if I notice a difference. So far, I'm not impressed with con 48 monsters dropping lvl 30 gear, which led to said uninstallation.

Thoughts?

TheGreatCthulhu

• SotW Member
  • Level 17
  • Lord of R'lyeh, Great Priest of the Deep Ones
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on Loot DS3 vs D3
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 08:09:13 AM »
That was something else I also thought about on DS3's weapons and armor. While the gear table is similarly "boring" compared to Diablo 3's (only provides bonuses to primary and secondary stats), it's still by far more interesting. The secondary stats allowed for a lot of build variety, via Doom, Retribution and other types of set-ups. Diablo 3's, from what I've gathered, are all about derpa-P-S and more derpa-P-S.

Also, it's seemingly more "rewarding" than the garbage that supposedly drops all the time in Diablo 3. I'd say that was especially true for the cool unique weapons and armor that I found in the DLC area for DS3.

And I am tempted to agree with you on the notion that DS3 has better fun factor versus Diablo 3. I should probably hold off on that though since I'd only be judging based on my limited time playing the beta and the rampant negative criticism that D3 has garnered.

jzn

• SotW Member
  • Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 09:03:00 PM »
lack of build variety was the big screw-up with the D3 loot.  It's more important than the fact that legendaries were awful.  This is something that can be fixed, though.  There are lots of affixes out there, but they all seem crappy compared to dps and vitality stacking.  Thorns, extra mana, life regen, bleed, elemental affixes, etc, but they are all just too underwhelming to use.  Blizz just needs to keep cranking the power of these useless affixes until they actually start to look attractive against dps and vit.

TheGreatCthulhu

• SotW Member
  • Level 17
  • Lord of R'lyeh, Great Priest of the Deep Ones
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 07:59:08 AM »
Hellgate sorta had that problem as well. It wasn't as bad as it is now in Global/Resurrection, but it was still kinda lame in the original version. IIRC, it was all about +AA, +TAV%, +armor,  critical hit bonuses and novas. I think there were a couple other affixes that everyone seemed to go out of their way to get, but I can't remember what they were now off the top of my head.

Hanbit ruined it by making the game completely obsessed with critical hits. So obsessed that even the elemental debuffs are viewed as as "negligible" versus having a constant stream of crits pouring out of the two most used classes (Marksmen and Evokers).

It seemed like in retrospect, that Diablo 2 had some of the best variety of affixes and build combinations. Just a shame that the novas in Diablo 2, IIRC, became laughable after a certain patch... but maybe my memory is foggy and jaded, and they're not as bad as I am remembering them?

Shout box

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!