Author Topic: D2 vs D3 all venting allowed  (Read 5216 times)

jzn

• SotW Member
  • Level 11
    • View Profile
D2 vs D3 all venting allowed
« on: May 27, 2012, 01:49:13 PM »
me first

I'm pissed that quest rewards have been dumbed down to just exp and gold.  One of the things that made d2 unique was how your character's quest progression uniquely affected his build.   Or something.  Anyway, now you aren't expected to reroll ever, so its a casualty of that design goal.

I kind of hate how damage/level is so tightly balanced.   In any game, the designers expect you to be able to kill monsters and level at a certain maximum speed.  If you surpass that maximum speed, it is basically an exploit.  D2 was all about finding exploits (as is any min-max type of game), and it was actually great that there were tons.  D3 seems to have a much greater lockdown on us, and it hurts my delusions of godhood.

Tradgedy12

• SotW Member
  • Level 17
  • Remember the dead - but fight for the living.
    • View Profile
Re: D2 vs D3 all venting allowed
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 03:34:54 PM »
All venting allowed?
Oh man, I can already feel the  :=( :=( coming on x.x

I only played the beta, but based upon that and what I hear about the game, I think the lack of min-maxing is my greatest complaint. I'd go for a rant about how awesome D2 was and how disappointed I am in the direction mainstream gaming is going, but 1) I haven't played the game so I haven't the right and 2) I suspect that if I begin ranting about the times before I reach 21, I'll be forever jaded  ;)
/* Do... or do not. There is no try-catch. */

Raiderfan001

• SotW Member
  • Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 05:42:28 PM »
There's pre-D2 Blizzard and post-WoW Blizzard.  I knew D3 wasn't going to be all that and a bag of chips well before it went into beta =/

roger.

• SotW Member
  • Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 09:45:19 PM »
To be honest with you Diablo 3 is a lot better than Diablo 2. After beating D2 the first time it felt like a chore to play it more. Diablo 3 does not.

And let's face it; all of the Diablo games have sucked a whole lot more than the original Diablo. I have no idea why everyone loves D2, but always forgets about the best game in the series (Diablo).

As an aside, if I remember correctly the only quest reward you got in D2, other than 1 skill point and an option to give an item random stats at Charsi, was experience. Yeah...adding gold is such bullshit! Who would want gold? I mean other than the fact that gold has some meaning in D3 like it didn't in D2.

Also, if you need to find exploits in order to beat or have fun in a game you aren't really playing the game. You are abusing it. I had not trouble at all without abusing exploits in D2.

I'm not defending D3, but I really cannot understand why you are bitching and moaning about it. Everyone from the start knew that D3 was not going to be D2 and you are bitching about it all the same.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 09:47:26 PM by roger. »

Tradgedy12

• SotW Member
  • Level 17
  • Remember the dead - but fight for the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 04:34:33 AM »
To be honest with you Diablo 3 is a lot better than Diablo 2. After beating D2 the first time it felt like a chore to play it more. Diablo 3 does not.

And let's face it; all of the Diablo games have sucked a whole lot more than the original Diablo. I have no idea why everyone loves D2, but always forgets about the best game in the series (Diablo).
So much rage. Diablo 2 is my favorite game, and that's been my position for years and years... but I don't try to claim that my opinion is Truth.

And I'm pretty sure you're one of the 1% that would feel that beating D2 a second time was a chore.

As an aside, if I remember correctly the only quest reward you got in D2, other than 1 skill point and an option to give an item random stats at Charsi, was experience. Yeah...adding gold is such bullshit! Who would want gold? I mean other than the fact that gold has some meaning in D3 like it didn't in D2.
...your memory isn't even close.
Quote from: The_Arreat_Summit
Act I: Quest 1: Den of Evil
+1 Skill Point, 1 Free Respecialization (reset stat points/skill points)
Act II: Quest 1: Radament's Lair
+1 Skill Point / 10% Reduction in prices

Act III: Quest 1: The Golden Bird (A Jade Figurine)
+20 health points (permanently)

Act III: Quest 4: Lam Esen's Tome
+5 Stat points

Act IV: Quest 1: The Fallen Angel
+2 Skill Points

Act IV: Quest 2: The Hellforge Reward
Classic: 4 Gems - 1 Normal, 2 Flawless, 1 Perfect. All gems types are chosen randomly and include skulls.
Act V: Quest 1: Siege on Harrogath (Add Sockets)
You cannot use the Add Socket Quest reward on Socketed Items.

You can only add Sockets to items that allow Sockets.
Act V: Quest 3: Prison of Ice
All Resistances +10 (Scroll of Resistance)
They added the respec to the den of evil quest in patch 1.13, I believe.
/* Do... or do not. There is no try-catch. */

roger.

• SotW Member
  • Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 07:41:47 AM »
So much rage. Diablo 2 is my favorite game, and that's been my position for years and years... but I don't try to claim that my opinion is Truth.

I am not angry in the least. I am playing the devil's advocate and in fact I do find D2 to be the worst game of the series. I did really enjoy act 1 and 4 of D2. Acts 2 and 3 were not my cup of tea and were extremely boring for me. In Diablo 1 I was never bored, plus it was a challenging game. I can remember starting a hardcore game and dreading when I found the dying person outside of the cathedral that offered the butcher quest. The butcher was one badass and the reason for 90% of my hardcore deaths.

And I'm pretty sure you're one of the 1% that would feel that beating D2 a second time was a chore.

Perhaps, but I'm probably also one of the 1% that played Diablo 1 before Diablo 2. Although I did enjoy D2, it was not very challenging. Even in Hell mode I was killing things left and right without having to chug potions as a necromancer, sorceress, or amazon.

...your memory isn't even close. They added the respec to the den of evil quest in patch 1.13, I believe.

This I can believe. My memory of my childhood isn't the greatest and I never really gave a damn about quest rewards (still don't to be honest). I also didn't play D2 that much to notice any substantial benefits from the quest rewards. The quest rewards from D3 (xp and gold) are fine for me. In HC I can buy items that I can't craft to give me an edge until I can craft items.

Seriously the level ranges between crafted items is crazy. You have to be around level 10 to use the noob class specific items and the levels only increase as you increase your blacksmith's level.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 07:46:02 AM by roger. »

Shayagor

• Level 18
  • I'm sexy and I know it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 08:49:31 AM »
I gotta say, D1 is a very good game, quite possibly the best of the series.

My rant comes from the following...have you noticed how much stuff was "reused" from the original work. I see a lot of HGL ideas in this game (obvious) but my question is...didn't these dudes say FUCK YOU to all the previous ideas and start up from scratch?!?!

As for the quest rewards, I do like them.

Also...NO FUCKING UNIQUES!?!?!?! Only level 60 set items?!?!?!

Kill a man, you're a murderer; Kill many, you're a conqueror; Kill 'em all, you're a God.

Life is not what you perceive, you perceive what life is. -Tim

TheGreatCthulhu

• SotW Member
  • Level 17
  • Lord of R'lyeh, Great Priest of the Deep Ones
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 03:01:44 AM »

Also...NO FUCKING UNIQUES!?!?!?! Only level 60 set items?!?!?!

I thought there were a few named legendary items. They're not purely unique since they all seem to have at least a couple slots taken up by random affixes, but they're still for the most part, 80% pre-determined. Some examples: http://d3db.com/item?c=_sword&match=1&quality=0,0,0,0,1

I'll have to agree with .roger. I always felt Acts 2 and 3 of D2 where the worst.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 03:54:36 AM by TheGreatCthulhu »

MerchantKill

• SotW Member
  • Level 18
  • Stayin too poor to afford gym membership.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 05:41:50 AM »
Aw. See. Now ya'll are making me wanna play it.

>:D

Cant win. Dont even bother playing. - indczn

scorpitron killa

• SotW Member
  • Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 07:12:37 AM »
Aw. See. Now ya'll are making me wanna play it.

>:D

classic!
i am a soldier of the wasteland

TheGreatCthulhu

• SotW Member
  • Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012, 12:46:26 PM »
Addendum on the legendary/unique equipment:

Apparently the crap is under-powered as-it-is compared to even magic/blue items. You think I'm kidding?

http://diablo3markets.incgamers.com/blog/comments/legendary-set-items-immenseley-undertuned-high-end-weapons-trivialized

Shayagor

• Level 18
  • I'm sexy and I know it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2012, 02:14:18 PM »
Yup, legendary wpns are crap, armor is good IMO.

But still, no uniques!! :( that makes me sad, but I sill enjoy the game!  :-*

Kill a man, you're a murderer; Kill many, you're a conqueror; Kill 'em all, you're a God.

Life is not what you perceive, you perceive what life is. -Tim

TheGreatCthulhu

• SotW Member
  • Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2012, 03:30:30 PM »
Yup, legendary wpns are crap, armor is good IMO.

But still, no uniques!! :( that makes me sad, but I sill enjoy the game!  :-*

YOUR PEER PRESSURE IS ALMOST WORKING. BUT I WILL NOT... GIVE IN.

You need to change your "Personal Text". D3 beta is OVAH.

jzn

• SotW Member
  • Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2012, 06:41:40 PM »
Apparently the crap is under-powered as-it-is compared to even magic/blue items.[/url]

I got a legendary in the game the other day!  It was a crossbow that was really crappy.  And by really crappy, i mean decent for its level (and contains a +to crit chance stat that a crossbow cannot normally have).   Thing is, in a game with an AH, no one in their right mind would use something that is merely decent. Even the dregs of the AH are far better than anything you'll likely see in game.

Another reason they are underwhelming currently is that, though they do come with unique art and at least one unique affix, they also have 2 random affixes, and many randomized attributes (including base damage), with wide ranges.  Whats more, they are much rarer than in D2.  So, while a good legendary will be really good, the one you manage to find on the ground after 100 hours of gameplay will most likely be meh.

So, Legendarys need work.  Set items too.  They all need to be way better, and more interesting.  Blizz has just promised to address it, though.  2013 is looking like a good year to farm in d3!

Quote from: blizz
To help correct misconceptions of the actual stat budgets allocated to items, we’ll be exposing item levels (ilvl) of 60+ items in patch 1.0.3. Comparing an ilvl 63 blue to an ilvl 60 Legendary will hopefully make a bit more sense afterward. In addition, we’re planning to just straight-out buff Legendary items in a future patch, likely the PvP patch (1.1). These buffs will not be retroactive, and so they’ll only apply to new Legendary items found after the patch. In the long term, we’re looking at simply expanding the affix diversity and unique bonuses of Legendary items, and we’ll be able to share more details after the PvP patch.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 07:09:09 PM by jzn »

scorpitron killa

• SotW Member
  • Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2012, 04:23:00 AM »
now that i tried a demon hunter, i must say i was mildly entertained last night.  ive only played for a few hours in total but am still impressed with the mood and story they present.

1st toon was a wizard, was not too impressed with that class up to lvl 12 or so then i died so tried DH and liked that much better.
i am a soldier of the wasteland

Shout box

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!