Author Topic: D3 Mechanics Thread  (Read 7483 times)

McAlison

• SotW Member
  • Level 13
  • I ain't yo bitch nigga, get your own damn fries!
    • View Profile
Re: D3 Mechanics Thread
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2012, 04:09:12 AM »
People, don't forget that it is required to create a Battle Tag in order to play Diablo 3, and that thousands to millions of players will be trying to do it the night of release, making their website heavily strained.

So why not take 2 minutes and make one now?

https://us.battle.net/login/en/?ref=https%3A%2F%2Fus.battle.net%2Faccount%2Fmanagement%2Fbattletag-create.html&app=bam&cr=true

Create Your BattleTag™
We expect that on launch night both the game service and website will be under very heavy strain due to the immense number of people excited to begin playing Diablo III. With that in mind we highly recommend you create your BattleTag now, as it´s required to play Diablo III. Please keep in mind that this non-unique nickname is a permanent choice, and will display both in-game and on the website, so be sure to choose one you like! (What is a BattleTag?)

47:13 [All] FrostForged: OH SHIT HES PRO

At the corner of "get a map" and "fuck off"

jzn

• SotW Member
  • Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2012, 08:45:47 AM »
Skills:

In D2, each class had 30 skills- a mix of passives and actives, each of which could be 'pumped up'.  In D3, they separated them out, and replaced the ability to pump up a skill with the ability to choose one of 5 variations of it.  These variations are enabled by a new type of skill-modifying mechanic called Runes.  These have nothing in common with D2 runes, and are essentially new skills that you unlock as you level.

Active skills are much the same as in D2, except in terms of resource cost.  Some are powered with each classes mana variations, some cost nothing and are on a cooldown, some cost nothing and have no cooldown, some actually help charge up your mana-type resource.

Passive Skills are very different than d2 passives.  In D2, passives generally increased one combat statistic (damage, to-hit, armor, critical hit chance, resistances, etc).  Some D3 passives do the same sort of thing, but many add distinct new powers. Passive's potent effects are limited by your ability to only have  3 active at a time, at max level (you get your first passive slot at level 10).

Runes are totally new. Each class has 22-24 active skills, 15 passive skills, and about 100 runes.  All runes apply new graphics to the skill, and many of the runes change the base skill drastically.  For instance, the Demon Hunter skill "Companion" summons a permanent animal minion.  Each rune changes the type of animal she can summon, and each companion has distinct abilities.

Actives, Passives, and Runes all unlock incrementally each level.  In Diablo 2 you recieved a new skill choice at levels 1, 6, 12, 18, 24, and 30.   After 30, you were done getting new skills.  

In D3, the last basic active skill you get is still level at 30.  But, since there are so many runes and passives, you continue gaining new skills per level all the way to the level cap.  Not only that, but you start to gain more than one each level after level 10 or so.  By level 40, each new ding is bringing you 3-4 new skills.  The idea is that, since every level takes a little longer to get, the reward for leveling should scale up.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 01:36:55 PM by jzn »

Jetcutter

• SotW Member
  • Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2012, 08:23:50 PM »
Noob question...
First time I had to Identify an item was this morning, (had to ask a friend how to?).
Is there a cost of some sort associated with this action? (I didnt notice one).
AgentSmith5150:" They can take my freedom, but they'll never take my BACON!!!!"

Cym

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2012, 02:06:25 AM »
Noob question...
First time I had to Identify an item was this morning, (had to ask a friend how to?).
Is there a cost of some sort associated with this action? (I didnt notice one).

The cost is the 5 seconds it takes to ID an item ;)

Jetcutter

• SotW Member
  • Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2012, 02:23:52 AM »
The cost is the 5 seconds it takes to ID an item ;)

That's fucking stupid.......

Cym

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2012, 04:55:16 AM »
That's fucking stupid.......

Humor is lost on this one....

Jetcutter

• SotW Member
  • Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2012, 10:53:12 PM »
Humor is lost on this one....
That's good, because no humor was intended.
It is a worthless deed to make it that uneventful, but to stuff a question mark in your inventory, when all
you have to do is right kilk it at no resource cost, other than the time it takes to do it!

McAlison

• SotW Member
  • Level 13
  • I ain't yo bitch nigga, get your own damn fries!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2012, 01:41:29 AM »
You mean this game, we don't just take it all to Cain in town and have him ID it? MAN, how worthless. Getting it for free in town last game was way cooler than getting it for free anywhere this time around.

47:13 [All] FrostForged: OH SHIT HES PRO

At the corner of "get a map" and "fuck off"

Jetcutter

• SotW Member
  • Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2012, 07:12:03 AM »
You mean this game, we don't just take it all to Cain in town and have him ID it? MAN, how worthless. Getting it for free in town last game was way cooler than getting it for free anywhere this time around.
I have never played D2, so I wouldnt know.

Miszou

• SotW Member
  • Level 16
  • Eccentric English Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2012, 07:17:18 AM »

I'm married so I get it for free everywhere anyway.

scorpitron killa

• SotW Member
  • Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2012, 09:09:52 AM »
I have never played D2, so I wouldnt know.

you were spot on in your question jet, it is completely stupid the way it is now.  just one more thing watered down to appease the new gen gamers.

yes its a small and petty complaint by itself...but its part of a casual path this game has decided to go down that rubs many the wrong way.

i am a soldier of the wasteland

Jetcutter

• SotW Member
  • Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2012, 10:01:00 AM »
I'm married so I get it for free everywhere anyway.

^
I'm doubting that.  ;D

Yea Scorp, There are some other insanely maneuvers to perform which are kinda senseless.

I'm only lvl 12 in SC, so I will hold out hope. Don't get alot of game time in this time of year.  
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 10:03:45 AM by Jetcutter »

Mcrat

• Administrator
  • Level 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2012, 04:46:37 PM »
That's good, because no humor was intended.
It is a worthless deed to make it that uneventful, but to stuff a question mark in your inventory, when all you have to do is right kilk it at no resource cost, other than the time it takes to do it!

In all honesty this is how it was in D2 as well. To ID an item you had two choices-

1. Carry around a Tome of Identify which took up 2 spaces in your inventory. When an unidentified item dropped you would right click on the tome and then click on the item, instantly ID'ing it.
2. Don't carry around a Tome and instead hoard the items till you were full, then port back to town to get an NPC to ID them all for you for free in one click.

The new system is pretty much the same but rather than have a resource you have to manage (the ID scrolls to put in the tome) you just do it for free but it costs you 5 seconds. And while it could be argued it's catering to the casual player base, I think it's a fine change as managing your ID scrolls in D2 wasn't challenging (they literally dropped everywhere - it's not like they were rare, plus you could simply buy them from the npc for a minimal amount of worthless gold) and it keeps in line with their design philosophy of keeping players in the action killing monsters.

They prefer you stop for 5 seconds to check out your loot rather than port to town and dick around there for a while away from all the demons needing to be slain.

Makes sense to me anyway.

By the way, does anyone else want a sip of this Kool-Aid? ;)

Miszou

• SotW Member
  • Level 16
  • Eccentric English Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2012, 01:32:33 AM »
Sounds kinda like the philosophy behind flasks in Path of Exile - Get rid of useless inventory clutter and micromanagement of resources, while at the same time streamlining the gameplay.

And I've got your Kool-Aid right here:D

Synner

• SotW Member
  • Level 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2012, 04:42:53 AM »
Why does this kool aid taste like raisins?  :-[

Cant say I'm happy with the changes to a lot of stuff from d2 to d3 but Meh .....it is what it is. I'm sure ill play the hell out of it until the next PoE update.
Quote from: scorpitrpn
To that I would refer you to...and I quote, "hackers schmackers".

Shout box

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!