Author Topic: D3 Mechanics Thread  (Read 7484 times)

jzn

• SotW Member
  • Level 11
    • View Profile
D3 Mechanics Thread
« on: May 08, 2012, 06:05:05 PM »
Hello my bretheren!  At last a game is upon us that is truly worthy of our united skillz!

Allow me to begin what will hopefully become a gigantic thread expounding upon the many changes between D2 and D3, as well as mechanics new to D3.  All changes herein relate to Hardcore mode.

If you did check out the open beta you probably know already that:

- each character class has their own version of Mana (spirit for the monk, rage for the barbarian, etc.).  The class resource grows and recharges in class-specific ways.

- You no longer have to click on gold to pick it up (like in hellgate london).  Moreover, there is an affix that increases the radius that you automatically suck up the gold.

- Not only is Hardcore mode included in the game, but you only need to level one character to 10 in order to unlock it.  So you can start an HC character about an hour after you install the game.

- In addition to Normal, Nightmare, and Hell difficulties, there is a new difficulty level, inferno, that only max level characters should even attempt. This difficulty will replace the TPPK as the greatest killer of high level HC characters.

- You can farm a bunch of gold, then click a couple buttons in-game to send a big batch of it into the 'world gold pool' on the RMAH, where it will be sold, incrementally, for real-world money.

- Gambling has been replaced with a new NPC that follows you from act to act, crafting semi-randomized items for you from salvaged blue items.  Another NPC follower replaces the hoadric cube, and manages your gem squishing.

- There are only 4 gem types available at launch, but their importance has drastically increased from D2.  You can socket weapons, helmets, shields, armors, like in D2, but now also belts, bracers and amulets.

- Shared Stash a la hellgate london (also, worm filled fat guys and who knows what else)

- no more PKs, period.

jzn

• SotW Member
  • Level 11
    • View Profile
Re: D3 Mechanics Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 06:32:12 PM »
Attributes are still a part of the game, and the attribute system has changed drastically.

There is no increasing your attributes when you level.  They do increase, and you always see them, but its a blanket increase for the class.  The way you customize them is with gems.  If you use your gems as attribute point generators, you can eventually put more points into customizing attributes than you could with 99 levels of attribute allocations in D2.

And now, customizing attributes is actually a viable thing to do.  There are no attribute requirements on items, so your attributes are yours to toy with.  Each attribute gives you a simple and powerful benefit, as follows:

Strength-  1 point str = 1 point of Armor
Dexterity- 1 point Dex = .1% dodge chance
Intelligence- .1% all resistances
Vitality - +10 life

These benefits are the same for all classes.  Additionally, each class has a prime requisite attribute which adds the benefit of +1%damage per point.  Barbarian-str, Witch Doctor/Wizard- Int, Monks/Demonhunter- Dex.

jzn

• SotW Member
  • Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 06:39:13 PM »
ok these 2 arent game mechanics, but important nonetheless:

- They have upped the ante on the story delivery in the game.  Instead of merely being delivered by gossip in town, much of the story comes at you in scripted events like an amusement park ride.  You can listen to lore while you run, and its worth xp.  Also, it should make a bit more sense, overall.

- The lead world designer fiction guy is the guy that created Arcanum and the original Fallout

jzn

• SotW Member
  • Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 07:14:48 PM »
Here's a topic that took me a while to get used to in D3- Skills

The skills in the game represent the biggest overall change.  You no longer choose skills via points- you get them all, unlocking one to three new skills (or skill permutations) each level.

The trick is that you can only use 6 Actives and 3 passives at a time, and you cant change them during combat.  So, you will build your character's loadout to synergize with a specific combination of skills that you want your character to use.  This 'preferred skill set' becomes the character's identity, in the way that your skill choices did in D2.

While this identity is not as permanent in nature as old D2 characters, it is vast in its uniqueness.  Each skill scales up with your level now, as opposed to in D2 where many skills lost effectiveness as the game got harder. 

To give you an idea of how many builds there will be, ponder this: By max level, your "6+3" choice will be from a pool of more unique combinations than a state lottery

jzn

• SotW Member
  • Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 07:23:23 PM »
The Hall of Fallen heroes:

Quote from: blizz
Hall of Fallen Heroes, and it's in the game. People in the beta who have lost a hardcore character can check it out. It shows what the character looked like when it died, how long it played, what level it was, what killed it, and some other stats.

McAlison

• SotW Member
  • Level 13
  • I ain't yo bitch nigga, get your own damn fries!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 10:51:43 AM »
I'm so hot for you right now, Jzn.

47:13 [All] FrostForged: OH SHIT HES PRO

At the corner of "get a map" and "fuck off"

jzn

• SotW Member
  • Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 07:09:37 PM »
there is more hotness to come!  Today, some more HC mode tidbits... Actually, from here, this thread will be less about pimping hot features and more about just explaining game mechanics, so it will be less sexay.  (Ok, who am i kidding, game mechanics are also sexay)  anyway, some info:

- When an HC character dies, they do not lose their gold, as your HC gold is account-wide.  They do not lose stash items, as it is the shared HC stash. But, their main gear is lost, and can't be looted.  This means that certain amazing items will cease to exist in the world when the HC character dies, which will help keep the economy HC sparse.

- Inferno mode will be the new goal for gear-hungry HC characters.  The highest tier of gear will contain sick mods like attribute boosts in the hundreds.  Word has it that Inferno mode will be practically impossible to survive, but the community will be the judge of that.

- It makes me sad, but some will like that there is no Real Money Auction House for HC mode!  

jzn

• SotW Member
  • Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 07:54:37 PM »
Grouping:  So, in D2, they threw some mechanics at grouping that encouraged people to try multiplayer games. They just threw xp at it from every direction, basically.  In D3, the way it works is that multiplayer sucks for you unless you maximize teamwork.  

- Team size is 4 players max (just got too visually ridiculous with more)

- Magic and gold find is averaged for the whole group, and every kill gets the same rate.

- There are 'portal to your teammate' sigils in town (coughhellgatelondoncough)

- Monsters do not increase in quantity with more players.  They get a 75% life boost.

- The drop rate of each monster stays at 100% for each player, and each player gets a discrete drop that only they can see.  Everybody has to pick up their own damn gold now (or rather, vacuum it up by running near it).  BUT, if you drop something from your inventory on the ground, everyone can grab for it.

- Experience is not shared between players, it, too is discretely allocated.  This has the effect that the xp you recieve from any given area will always be the same as it was in a single player game.  The question becomes, how fast did you get it.

These mechanics mean that there is absolutely no value to soloing your own area in a 4 player game.  When they start trying multi, inexperienced players will generally get less xp/time in a party than in single player.   The value of multi comes purely from the ability of your team to work together, share loot properly, and clear zones efficiently.  

Based on current information, if your group is awesome, your loot and xp should clock in more than twice as fast as alone.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 08:20:36 PM by jzn »

Zoogy

• SotW Member
  • Level 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 12:09:03 AM »

- It makes me sad, but some will like that there is no Real Money Auction House for HC mode!  
I think that is great. Why does that make you sad? The whole point of HC mode is to see how good someone truly is. If there was a RMAH then people could buy better gear with real money and make it easier (note I said easier not easy) for them so it wouldn't be a real test of how good they are.
Can we get this guy a "thread necromancer" member status or something?

jzn

• SotW Member
  • Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 02:23:48 AM »
It only makes me sad because if I play hardcore, I'll have much more fun, but If I play softcore, I will be rich IRL

Synner

• SotW Member
  • Level 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2012, 03:36:38 AM »
Nice run down Jzn,  keep it coming.  (Y)
Quote from: scorpitrpn
To that I would refer you to...and I quote, "hackers schmackers".

Mcrat

• Administrator
  • Level 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2012, 01:47:56 PM »
- Inferno mode will be the new goal for gear-hungry HC characters.  The highest tier of gear will contain sick mods like attribute boosts in the hundreds.  Word has it that Inferno mode will be practically impossible to survive, but the community will be the judge of that.

Inferno mode is supposed to be ridiculously hard. So hard that each act has it's own tier set of gear you can find :/

So the idea behind it is the monsters will always be a higher level than you (+1 level per act, so by act 4 they are 64), have 4 or 5 affixes that mess you up and it's designed that you will need to spend a lot of time in act 1 inferno to gear up ready for act 2. With affixes like Waller (which trap you in a confined space with 3 walls), I can see death coming quickly and easily in this mode. Plus you can't even enter inferno till max level (60) so death would be a sour blow indeed.

Also love the fact there is no escape mechanism in place like you had available for D2. For starters save and exit leaves you in game for a while so that's a risk (also risky for d/c :(), town portals now no longer drop an actual portal on the ground for you to retreat to but instead havea 5(?) second interruptable cast, and in some zones which contain boss fights, the game doesn't even allow the town portal spell to be used. So even if you find a safe spot to sit for a few seconds you can't throw the cast down. Those fights only end with one side dying >:D

I think that is great. Why does that make you sad? The whole point of HC mode is to see how good someone truly is. If there was a RMAH then people could buy better gear with real money and make it easier (note I said easier not easy) for them so it wouldn't be a real test of how good they are.

TBH I think the reason for not allowing RMAH in hc mode, was because they know people are entitled idiots and they would receive complaints from people QQing that they lost $200 worth of gear because of server lag and how it was all Blizzard's fault. Too much hassle and bs they could potentially have to deal with, so just easier to not do it.

jzn

• SotW Member
  • Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2012, 04:10:44 PM »
getting xp, 4 ways-

1- they decided to actually give xp for finishing quests in the acts (instead of saving it all up for one big ancients quest at the end).  Big chunks of xp for finishing the quest.

2- There are are 2 new item affixes, found right from the start of the game- "each kill adds + (2-6) experience, and "+5% experience per kill".  It is not uncommon to get both of these on a single rare, and you have 13 gear slots for stacking the affixes.  A low level loadout might reasonably give +60xp per kill and +50% overall.  +60xp per kill would be a lot.  The skeleton king (an Act 1 sub-boss) on normal is level 8 and only gives 187, and thats the highest xp reward of any monster leading up to him.  Im guessing everybody will stash a 'fast leveling jumpsuit' or whatever, for their early HC characters.

3- There are 3 on-the-fly xp rewards available for particularly violent acts.  You get a scalable hit of bonus xp for:
"Mighty Blow" (killing x amount of monsters in one attack),
"Destruction" (killing x amount of barrels, pottery, desks, chandeliers, etc in one attack.  P.s. you can AoE barrels now),
and, most importantly "Massacre" (killing x amount of monsters in an unbroken attack string).  

To get a Massacre bonus, you need to string your attacks together without pause, keeping the massacre ticker alive for at least 10 monsters.  The xp is scales up from there, and can scale into the thousands.  The ticker starts when you affect any monster with any skill.  It keeps ticking for every monster you have touched, until there is a pause.  At that point, it counts how many of those monsters are currently dead, and gives you credit for killing them, no matter how they might have died in the meantime.  Party members can share in this bonus, by benefiting from all the dead monsters they personally touched during the string.

4- Best one.  One of the features originally promoted for Hellgate London, but horribly botched in that game (even by MY standards).  Random world quest events.  Certain areas of the game, mostly in the special extra zones on certain random maps (e.g. the mausoleum, the hole, the swampy pit, etc), have the potential to spawn scripted quest events.  Each event comes with custom graphics, dialogue, monster scripting, etc, and each one has some kind of collectables niche (a la the countess in d2).  

For example, the most common quest event found in the beta was...not to spoilerize anything, i'll call it  *the Czar of Shoals*, Wherin you find a mysterious *refrigerator* and are suddenly trapped in a room with an escalating *bunny rabbit* spawn for a 60-second timer.  People used the infinite spawn to create huge massacre bonus chain, giving this event its niche.  It also gives a reward and a chunk of quest xp.   The event spawns in one of three specific areas, in 1 out of 3 games.  There were 2 other random quest events in the beta with similar placement conditions, but each with escalating rarity.

Blizz has confirmed there are over fifty such areas in the game.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 01:15:59 PM by jzn »

jzn

• SotW Member
  • Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2012, 04:21:00 PM »
nice info mcrat!

even if you find a safe spot to sit for a few seconds you can't throw the cast down. Those fights only end with one side dying >:D

It is totally fight or die!  Another freebie they yoinked- uncatchability.  Movement speed is capped from gear at 25%, so no gear loadout will allow you to outrun every monster as you could in D2.  You have to rely on defensive skills and teamwork to create your exits.

jzn

• SotW Member
  • Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2012, 07:13:57 PM »
Ok, damage.  This mechanic represents a fundamental paradigm shift from d2, at least for a big chunk of the characters.   In D2, combat skills were based on your weapon damage, and magic skills were based on your skill investment.  Now every damaging skill, from bash to meteor, all derive their output from your weapon loadout.  For traditional attack skills, this is nothing new.  But it has a number of ramifications for the skills we don't usually think of as weapon-based. 

If you have a weapon with a mana leech effect, then your fireballs or whatnot provide that effect for everything in your AoE.  The same is true of on-hit effects, bonus elemental damage, critical hit bonuses (spells now crit), and increased attack speed.

D3 lists your weapon's DPS rating as a big number on the weapon itself.  But the details matter.  Attack speed of weapons are important- the base attack speed affects the speed of many skills.  But what you are looking for in weapon speed differs from class to class.  The Barbarian and the Monk recharge their resource meter with attack skills, and a faster weapon will let them recharge that meter faster.  But wizards, in most cases, prefer a slower weapon.  They don't recharge in the same way, and fast weapons will drain their arcane power more quickly.

Shout box

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!